Thursday 15 May 2014

OUGD502 - PPP2 - PRESENTATION




I will discuss two of my main interests outside of graphic design.


One of my main interests outside of graphic design id fashion and style. To me, first impressions are very important and I like to make mine through how I dress. This interest is much more than just how I look, I take a keen interest in new trends and what is happening in the fashion world. I am also interested in the role of graphic design in the fashion industry and how the two are connected. My style is a mix of unbeatable classics worn with a contemporary, edgy if you will twist, without one element overpowering another, I aim for a harmonious synergy. I prefer to look sharp and smart as this is what I feel most comfortable in. I believe in the ethos that you can never be over educated or overdressed, I therefore will regularly dress to impress and learn wherever possible.


I am a big lover of sport and fitness and like to be in shape. When the season is on I play football 2-3 times a week. On top of this I like to go to the gym to stay fit. I am a loyal Newcastle United fan, having held a season ticket at St. James's Park since the age of 12. Despite the poor second half of this years season, I love going as it provides a platform for euphoria as well as releasing any stress that has built up.


Over this year I have focused on three main areas within graphic design. These three areas are Editorial & Publishing, Advertising and Branding. I have very strong interests in editorial and publishing as well as advertising, two things I want to develop over the summer and into third year.
Most of my work has predominantly been print based, however, I am also interested in the cross over between print and digital and working with both platforms. To my print is something that can be treasured, the work created can be in itself a work of art and an excellent display of craftsmanship. The digital side of things, however, is where the money is with many print budgets being cut drastically. Working digitally allows you to reach a much wide audience, in a much shorter space of time and the work can be changed and adapted constantly.


The editorial work I am most proud of producing this year was The Print Paper, for OUGD504. I really enjoyed the freedom on designing this, allowing my self to be quite experimental with layout and my grid systems. I also really enjoyed producing it as a newspaper, a process I hadn't done before but something I will definitely do again. 




My proudest work that I produced regarding advertising was my entry for the D&AD New Blood competition. I enjoyed this work as I had a very strong concept, strong visuals and strong presentation. In this project I also produced the most professional looking design boards to date. Advertising is something I really enjoy, especially interactive adverts, where companies change and adapt the city to draw peoples attention and get them involved and intrigued.





Branding is something I have unintentionally fallen into this year.Although it is not my favourite area of graphic design, I have quite enjoyed the majority of the branding I have designed this year. I do really enjoy coming up with a branding and identity that has a strong concept behind it as well as being aesthetically strong.



Over this past year I have continued to look at different design studios and designers. These are two that I have taken a keen interest in recently.


Matt Willey's complete rebrand of the Independent newspaper is something that I love. He has covered every aspect and made the newspaper so strong that it stands out amongst its competitors and also competes with all of the digital versions that are now being produced.


Solo are a Barcelona based studio with a focus on editorial and branding. The have worked with Simon Miller, a high end fashion designer, the sort of client I envisage myself working with in the future. I had the pleasure of hearing them talk and meeting one of the duo at BCNMCR which gave me a great insigt into the way they work and who they are.


This year has been a mix of successes and shortcomings. 

My successes this year I think are in my skills, writing and confidence. I have learned several new skills over the past year, working in a collaboration, working with a client, submitting to major competitions, basic Dreamweaver knowledge, use of external sources, perfect binding and finishing.

My writing is always an area I have felt was one of my stronger skills. Writing is something I really enjoy, especially if it is something I am really engaged in or about my work. 

Although I am not happy with a lot of the work I have produced this year there are some elements for me that I am happy with. These projects have given me confidence in my own ability. I am not as confident in my work as I would like to be and think I am capable of much more than what I am producing, something that irritates me as I am letting myself down. This is an element of my practice that I really want and need to improve over the summer and third year.

Some of my shortcomings this year include my time management, my blogging and my finishing.

My time management has been poor throughout the year, however, it has got worse since Easter. I have left a lot to the last minute, meaning I don't produce a substantial amount of quality work that I know I am capable of. This is something that must be rectified in order for me to succeed.

I had planned to blog little and often this year so that I was up to date with everything and blog it when it was fresh in my mind. This has not been the case at all and my blogging has become the last thing I do and is always left to the end. Another element of my practice that must be rectified by next year.

Although my craft skills and finishing have improved, I still think they are an element of my physical practice that lets me down and still needs improving.



I know this sounds far fetched and ambitious but this is where I want to be, or something similar. I am very driven person but I have let things get in the way of this. I like the finer things in life and want a job that allows me to enjoy these as well as produce work I enjoy. I know this is not going to be handed to me on a plate and I am going to really have to work if I want to achieve this or anything close to this. I am a worker, although I have let that slip this year, and over the summer I really plan on working and driving myself to achieve my goals. I am not happy with the level I am working at and really want to up my game. 


Whether this is this summer or over the duration of my life, I really want to experience more of the world. Due to the nature of our industry I can work from anywhere around the world with clients anywhere around the world. These are just a few of the places I would like to work/visit. Others include, Japan, China, Korea, etc.



I need to organise myself much better when it comes to my work. I need to ensure that I am getting work completed in plenty of time so that I can print, finish and photograph the final outcome. I also need to organise myself so that I blog regularly and often rather than leaving it all until the end.

I also need to organise myself so that I can do the things I want to outside of college without compromising my work.

Organisation also includes arranging visits and placements to studios and agencies.


I am very determined to improve myself. I want to always produce work I am proud of and that is at the level I believe I should be working at. I am determined to do well in life, I want to be successful and i have to be determined and work extremely hard to get where I want to.


Over the past couple of years my focus hasn't always been the course and graphic design, this is something I think needs to change. Although I cannot devote my life entirely to graphic design, I want to immerse my self in it. I need to spend more time on design blogs, looking at existing studios and contacting them.

I also need to prioritise my work over other commitments if I want to get where I want.


I want PPP to give me greater confidence to network and meet people in the industry, I want to develop as a professional, learning about the business side of the industry and I want to cement my own design identity, style and expertise.



I have previously made contacts at Nation, a digital design studio and JWT and advertising agency. I have been in contact and I am hoping to visit both over summer.

I also have some other possible contacts through friends and family that may prove fruitful.

I am also applying for an internship in the press and marketing department of the Saatchi Gallery.


No comments:

Post a Comment